Community Group Questions 03.06.22
Sermon // “Babylon’s Cancel Culture” Daniel 3:1-18
- Have you ever experienced cancel culture in any way? What have you seen from Daniel and his three companions so far that can help us with our own rules of engagement today?
a. How can Proverbs 17:28 help?
b. Ephesians 4:32?
c. 1 Peter 4:8?
d. Galatians 6:1-2?
e. How do these verses directly contrast cancel culture?
- Read Daniel 3:1 and 3:18. How do these verses demonstrate a love of the gifts verses a love for the gift giver?
a. How is idolatry defined in Colossians 3:5? Have you ever been guilty of idolatry as described here?
b. How does the community of God help nurture a love for the gift giver?
- Tim Keller in his book Counterfeit Gods claims you can identify an idol of your heart by answering the question: Life only has meaning/I only have worth if ____________(fill in the blank with a choice below):
a. I have power and influence over others.” (Power Idolatry)
b. I am loved and respected by _____.” (Approval Idolatry)
c. I have this kind of pleasure experience, a particular quality of life.” (Comfort idolatry)
d. I am able to get mastery over my life in the area of _____.” (Control idolatry)
e. people are dependent on me and need me.” (Helping Idolatry)
f. someone is there to protect me and keep me safe.” (Dependence idolatry)
g. I am completely free from obligations or responsibilities to take care of someone.” (Independence idolatry)
h. I am highly productive and getting a lot done.” (Work idolatry)
i. I am being recognized for my accomplishments, and I am excelling in my work.” (Achievement idolatry)
j. I have a certain level of wealth, financial freedom, and very nice possessions.” (Materialism idolatry)
k. I am adhering to my religion’s moral codes and accomplished in its activities.” (Religion idolatry)
l. This one person is in my life and happy to be there, and/or happy with me.” (Individual person idolatry)
m. I feel I am totally independent of organized religion and am living by a self-made morality.” (Irreligion idolatry)
n. My race and culture is ascendant and recognized as superior.” (Racial/cultural idolatry)
o. A particular social grouping or professional grouping or other group lets me in.” (Inner ring idolatry)
p. My children and/or my parents are happy and happy with me.” (Family idolatry)
q. or Ms. “Right” is in love with me.” (Relationship Idolatry)
r. I am hurting, in a problem; only then do I feel worthy of love or able to deal with guilt.” (Suffering idolatry)
s. My political or social cause is making progress and ascending in influence or power.” (Ideology idolatry)
t. I have a particular kind of look or body image.” (Image idolatry)
- Which of the idols above might you struggle with?
- How can they replace our love for God?