Community Group Questions 3.14.21
Sermon // “The Importance of Ceremony” Song of Songs 3:6-11
- Discuss with your group our culture’s view of marriage.
a. Do you think Guam culture has a high or low view of marriage? Is USA different or similar?
b. Do you think the church reflects the values of culture or is there a difference?
- How would you differentiate a contractual relationship verses a covenantal relationship?
- What is characteristic of covenant partners when it comes to loyalty? (Matthew 28:20b, Hebrews 13:5b)
a. What covenant qualities do you see in God towards an unfaithful Israel in Hosea 2:16-23?
b. How did Jesus describe his blood bought relationship to his followers in Luke 22:20?
c. Name all the ways couples demonstrate loyalty to one another in marriage?
d. What is one thing that negates loyalty?
- How does Genesis 2:24 and Matthew 19:6 confirm the notion of covenant loyalty?
- What was the token sign of God’s covenant with Israel? What is the equivalent sign for the church today? How is this relevant to the any token sign for marriage covenants today?
- Where name changes also significant to biblical covenants? (Gen. 17:1-5)
a. Do you think there is any significance to marriage covenants and name changes today? (Genesis 2:24)
- Read 1 Samuel 18:1-4. How does the relationship between Jonathan and David exemplify loyalty in covenants?